Need a great tool for bug reports? Want something that will help facilitate your quality assurance process? Mantis is simple open source tool that fits this bill quite nicely.
Mantis is both a wonderful tool, and at times a source of frustration for me. It’s very helpful in guiding reporters of issues during a quality assurance period. I like the tools ability to help get issues reported fully so that developers can understand fully what the issue is and how it can be recreated – assuming that the reporter has indeed completed the bug report form completely and accurately. If this is done correctly, this tool is great.
- User levels with different permissions
- File uploads for screenshots or other
- An intuitive interface with custom search refinements
- Email notifications
- Login / password protected management
- Public and private projects may be created
- An easy installation
It can’t stop people from submitting reports that are duplicates or incomplete, but it does do a good job of guiding all users to a well documented bug report.