The United States is not known for its sprint canoe and kayak racing teams — far from it. While we have had a handful of Olympic medals, these have been very few and far between. The sport has only a small following here, despite there being SUP, marathon and outrigger paddling communities with incredible depth. Despite that, we perhaps have some of the best race software around. JRaceman written by Jim McBeath is an open source Java based tool that can be used with many different sporting events to provide reports, heats, race results and more.
Check out some of its features:
- Standalone (single user) or client/server (multi user).
- Checks data for errors and restrictions (such as max entries per person and age levels).
- Choice of methods for initial lane draw, including random, seeded, and by category.
- Automatic, Manual, and Custom Progressions (lane assignment).
- Supports group events (such as relay races or team boats).
- Calculates Individual and Team scores.
- Supports multiple customized per-place point scoring systems.
- Supports non-scoring competitors (such as Internationals in a National competition), including optional preferential progression for scoring competitors over non-scoring competitors.
- Produces HTML reports: Schedule Reports, Entries Reports, Lane Reports, Results Reports, Progress Reports, Score Reports, Award Reports, Personal Results.
- Supports alternate and custom style sheets for HTML reports.
- Fast web reports to maintain a web site during a meet.
- Prints labels for awards.
- Export/Import capability to support distributed data entry.
- Interfaces to FinishLynx and Omega automated finish-line systems.
- Integrated on-line web registration.
- On-line help with built-in browser.
- Tutorial Wizard simplifies learning how to use JRaceman.
If you’re hosting an event or attending an event that needs help with management, JRaceman is something you should consider using. It’s an excellent example of open source software and great for anyone putting on a regatta, track meet or other racing event!